At KBM, our people are passionate about what they do. We provide a dynamic work environment in which employees have considerable autonomy and are rewarded with increasing opportunities to grow in their profession. Our people are encouraged to initiate new ventures and to take calculated risks. KBM is a diverse horizontal organization with open engagement across all business units.
KBM Resources Group- Technical Services- Field Technician
KBM is an independently-owned natural resources consulting firm offering a range of services to clients in both the private and public sector. Since 1974 we have been headquartered in Thunder Bay, ON along the north shore of Lake Superior. In 2011, KBM opened a satellite office in Prince Albert, SK. Both locations attract outdoor enthusiast to explore the endless networks of parks, trails, rivers, and lakes.
KBM operates three tightly integrated business units: KBM Aviation, KBM Geomatics and KBM Field Services in addition to operating KBM Outdoors (and outdoor equipment and supplies retail store). KBM’s Technical Services division has an operational territory that spans Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. KBM provides a flexible, dynamic, and challenging work environment with opportunities to further your skills in a team-based atmosphere. Additionally, we offer competitive compensation and opportunities for growth within the company.
A primary focus of KBM Field Services division is Forest Resource Inventory (FRI) data collection. KBM is currently seeking a Field Technician with proven technical skills to join our Thunder Bay team on a seasonal basis to support our FRI data collection program in 2023. Field Technicians are responsible for contributing to all aspects of FRI data collection (forest mensuration, coarse woody debris measurement, vegetation and tree species identification and soil classification). While candidates with a strong background in forest resource inventory data collection are preferred, specific job training will be provided for all successful candidates. FRI plot locations are not always truck accessible and often require UTV operation or long walks (~1km) through the bush to access. Our field crews generally work rotating shifts during the summer season when working in remote locations. This schedule is flexible and may change depending on the location of a given project.
- Background in Forestry, Natural Resources, Environmental Science, or a related field.
- Familiarity with tablet-based data collection applications
- Superior organization skills
- Willingness to work extended shifts (~14-days) in remote areas.
- Willing to work in a team environment
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Other skills that are considered assets include:
- Demonstrated experience using GNSS systems for navigation and data collection
- Proficient use of ESRI suite products (ArcPro, ArcMap, AGOL, Field Maps, Survey 123, etc).
- Demonstrated experience working in remote environments for extended periods of time
- Demonstrated experience working outdoors
Education and Experience:
- Degree, diploma, or currently enrolled in Forestry, Natural Resources, Environmental Science, or related discipline
- Previous work experience in precision forest data collection or other related disciplines
To express interest in this opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume to Stéphane Audet and Eric Bongelli with the subject line “2023 Field Technician”. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The deadline to apply is Friday February 3rd, 2023.
Join Our Team
We regularly hire forestry and geomatics students, field technicians, remote sensing experts, professional foresters and other natural resource professionals and are always accepting resumes.
We are proud to offer our full-time employees an attractive health and dental benefits package, we enjoy flexible work schedules, and a quality of life unique to Thunder Bay, Ontario. We also have an office in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
Submit expressions of interest to: