At KBM, our people are passionate about what they do. We provide a dynamic work environment in which employees have considerable autonomy and are rewarded with increasing opportunities to grow in their profession. Our people are encouraged to initiate new ventures and to take calculated risks. KBM is a diverse horizontal organization with open engagement across all business units.
KBM is an independently-owned natural resources consulting firm offering a range of services to clients in both the private and public sector. Since 1974 we have been headquartered in Thunder Bay, ON along the north shore of Lake Superior. In 2011, KBM opened a satellite office in Prince Albert, SK. Both locations attract outdoor enthusiast to explore the endless networks of parks, trails, rivers, and lakes.
KBM operates three tightly integrated business units: KBM Aviation, KBM Geomatics and KBM Field Services in addition to operating KBM Outdoors (and outdoor equipment and supplies retail store). KBM’s Technical Services division has an operational territory that spans Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. KBM provides a flexible, dynamic, and challenging work environment with opportunities to further your skills in a team-based atmosphere. Additionally, we offer competitive compensation and opportunities for growth within the company.
We are currently seeking a full-time Forestry Technician based in our Prince Albert, SK office. As a forestry technician you will be responsible for participating and leading projects that include (but are not limited to) forest renewal, forest health surveys, and the surveying of utility lines. Frequent field work during the summer months is a requirement of the job. The successful applicant must be willing to travel and be willing to work outside in all weather conditions. Certain projects will include the need for small fixed-wing or rotary wing aircraft to access the project location. The successful applicant should be comfortable riding in these types of aircraft. Office work components will include contributing to reports, proposal writing, and general project management. The successful applicant should be familiar with the standard MS software suite (Word, Excel, Access) and ESRI products (ArcMap, Pro, AGOL).
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- Comfortable working independently in remote areas and travelling for extended periods of time
- demonstrated safe operation of an all-terrain vehicle and able to successfully complete applicable safety courses
- Familiarity with tablet-based data collection applications (e.g., Survey 123, ArcGIS Field Maps)
- Superior organization skills
- Willing to work in a team environment
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Other skills that are considered assets include:
- Demonstrated experience using GNSS systems for navigation and data collection
- Proficient use of ESRI suite products (ArcPro, ArcMap, AGOL, Field Maps, Survey 123, etc).
- Demonstrated experience working in remote environments for extended periods of time
- Demonstrated experience working outdoors
Education and Experience:
- Minimum one year post secondary education in natural resource management, biology, forestry, geography, or related study
- Minimum one-year experience working as a forestry technician or a related discipline.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, dependable, able to work individually as well as within a team. Remuneration will be based on education, skills, and experience.
To express interest in this opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume to Stephanie Stuart with the subject line “2023 Forestry Technician”. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The deadline to apply is February 15th, 2023.
Join Our Team
We regularly hire forestry and geomatics students, field technicians, remote sensing experts, professional foresters and other natural resource professionals and are always accepting resumes.
We are proud to offer our full-time employees an attractive health and dental benefits package, we enjoy flexible work schedules, and a quality of life unique to Thunder Bay, Ontario. We also have an office in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
Submit expressions of interest to: